3 years ago / 19 notes
This simple, elegant, and highly effective bong can be constructed from 5 inexpensive parts. Parts 1-4 can be purchased at LOWE’S. Part 5 can be acquired at any smoke shop. All approximate prices are in US currency.
- 1. 3/8” x 20” PEX TOILET RISER. Item #24976. (Plumbing aisle, $1.53)
- 2. 3/8” FIP to 1/8” BRASS REDUCING COUPLING. Item A-762. (Plumbing aisle, $3.38)
- coupling should have threading on the inside so it can screw onto the toilet riser.
- 3. 1 1/4” PVC BALL VALVE THREAD P200. Item #79680. (Plumbing aisle, $6.21)
- 4. 8’ TUBE GUARD T12. Item #163818. ($7.48)
- This item is located in different aisles at different stores, try Lighting first.
- 5. STAINLESS STEEL PIPE SCREENS.
- This item can usually be purchased in small packets for ~$1.50.
- 1. Pruning Shears (recommended).
- If you feel uncomfortable asking the helpful employees at LOWE’S to cut the toilet riser tube, you will need something capable of cutting through PEX (cross-linked high-density polyurethane). Pruning sheers are effective, a hack saw will also work. Ideally you want to bend the tube as little as possible, so using scissors is not recommended.
- 2. Awl (recommended).
- This will be used to make a hole in the body tube for the slide. If you do not own an awl, you can use one in the Tool World section of LOWE’S . Awls at LOWE’S are conveniently packaged so you can use them without ruining the packaging. If this idea makes you uncomfortable, you can use a sharp nail to poke the initial hole, and a car key to widen it.
RETURN TO INDEX
3 years ago / 0 notes
Assembling the Slide
If you follow these simple instructions, assembling the slide for your 8 Foot Bong will be a breeze.
- To assemble your slide you will need: the Toilet Riser, Brass Reducing Coupling, Pruning Shears, a measuring tape, and two (2) Stainless Steel Pipe Screens.
- STEP 1: Measure the Toilet Riser. Mark the tube at around ~5.5 inches (~14cm) from the tube side of the riser (avoid the side with the doodad on it). Cut this piece off using the garden shears.
- Protip: instead of discarding the remaining material, you can make 3 slide tubes.
- The finished slide tube should look like the picture above
- STEP 2: Take the slide tube you just created and screw the tube into the Reducing Coupling.
- With a little force the tube should screw right into the coupling.
- Bonus: the teeth in the inside of the coupling will create grooves so that the bowl can easily be screwed on and off for cleaning.
- STEP 3: Take the two Stainless Steel Pipe Screens and push them into the top of the Reducing Coupling to prevent solid material from being sucked through.
- The following pictures show a coupling without screens (left), and a coupling with screens (right).
Your slide piece is now ready for use.
3 years ago / 1 notes
Assembling the Body (Method 1)
This is the fastest and easiest way to assemble the body of the 8 Foot Bong.
- STEP 1: Remove the Black Plastic Caps from both sides of the 8’ Tube Guard. They should easily pop right out.
- STEP 2: Measure ~ 4.5 inches (~11.5 inches) up from the end of the tube. Mark the tube at this point, and use the awl (or you can use the nail and key) to create a hole.
- Be careful not to crack the acrylic tube. Slowly press the awl or nail into the tube while twisting it. You should not make the hole as wide as the slide tube yet.
- If you use a nail you can use a car key to widen the hole by twisting it inside the pilot hole.
- STEP 3: Once you have created a hole, use the slide itself to finish the hole, by slowly pressing it into the pilot hole and twisting.
- Step 4: Attach the base of the tube into one end of the PVC Ball Valve. (For best results attach the Valve so the twisty piece and the hole are at a 90 degree angle. This way the twisty piece serves as a brace during lighting.
- Make sure the PVC Ball Valve is fully in the closed position to prevent leaking.
- The valve will form a relatively tight fit. To completely seal the tube into the valve you can use Krazy Glue, Fabri-Tac, duct tape, or any other kind of adhesive or sealer
Your 8 Foot Bong is now ready for use.
Here is what it looks like when it’s set to go, with water and ice cubes…
3 years ago / 0 notes
Use these simple tips:
To improve function:
- Try putting a few ice cubes into the body tube, it will help you take a thicker, more ambitious hit.
- When emptying the water, brace the bottom against the ground and turn the valve open. By bracing the valve against the ground you have less risk of separating the valve from the body tube if the tube has not been sealed into the valve.
- Due to the size of the bong, it is best used with three people: one to light, one to spot, and one to smoke.
- Clearing an 8 foot bong rip is an impressive feat. You should create a “wall-of-fame” to celebrate those who have successfully accomplished this goal. The wall of fame will also serve as a normative anchor, letting your friends know that it is both possible and commendable.
- If you are new to giant novelty bongs, taking a steady hit may be a little tricky. You have to find your groove; breathe in at a medium pace, not too fast, not too slow. Have the spotter give feedback on how you are doing.
To have a safe and enjoyable experience:
- Rip the bong at an angle, with your feet firmly on the ground at an angle. When handling a bong of this height it will be tempting to stand on a something high up; avoid this urge. The magnitude of the hit is usually greater than expected and you do not want to risk a fall which could lead to injury and embarrassment.
- Make sure you cover the bong; also, have the spotter ready in case you cannot finish all of your hit. He or she can make good use of what you cannot finish. Remember: being careless and wasteful constitutes a party foul.
- PVC releases harmful fumes when burned. Therefore make sure you position the bowl/slide high enough from the base(PVC Valve) that you will not risk touching the flame to it. This was our original motivation to find a cheap alternative material to PVC for the chamber. The T12 Tube Guard provides a safe, see through, alternative to PVC.
3 years ago / 0 notes
Acknowledgements, Contact, and Submissions.
We would like to thank everyone who played a role in the initial creation of the original $20 8 foot bong, or as we refer to it, Sarge:
D.V., S.H., K.O., E.B., & C.S.
We would also like to thank the kind people at LOWE’S for all their help.
We can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter @twitter.com/8footbong
Please submit pictures of your 8-foot bongs, stories, or love/hate mail.
If you have an original song or mix you would like us to post up on our site, just shoot us an email.
Disclaimer: This website in no way encourages the use of any illegal substances or irresponsible behavior. If you choose to use this bong for anything other than legal herbs, please do not operate machinery, drive, or do anything stupid. Just put on some mellow grooves at Pandora.
If you want to re-post any information from this site, please contact me first, and make sure to cite this website.
4 years ago / 1 notes
8 Foot Bong In Action (pics)
Email your 8 foot bong pictures to email@example.com. We can crop the faces out for you, unless you’re a badass…
5 years ago / 1 notes
Support our efforts
If you want to help us do cool things like buy a real domain please click on the following affiliate links:
If you are looking to buy a vaporizer, purchase it through the following link:
Grass City Online Head Shop: